新加坡狮城论坛

返回列表 发帖 付费广告
楼主: 中国铉龙

[PSLE小六] 关于DSA

[复制链接]
发表于 11-4-2012 22:32:42|来自:新加坡 | 显示全部楼层
楼主好勤劳了!请问:女儿今年中四想去参加华中dsa(高中部)我们应该做怎样的准备呢?老师推荐信重要吗?期待你的解答,非常谢谢!
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 11-4-2012 23:07:17|来自:新加坡 | 显示全部楼层
小狮租房
desnow 发表于 11-4-2012 22:32
楼主好勤劳了!请问:女儿今年中四想去参加华中dsa(高中部)我们应该做怎样的准备呢?老师推荐信重要吗? ...

我所了解到的是:推荐信是一定要有的,但推荐信的质量和被录取的几率关系不大。一些JC甚至注明推荐信是“Optional”。

当然了,如果推荐人是“超重量级的”就另当别论了。

一位本地人这样评论DSA推荐信:

“I'd like to add that in most JCs, as long as the school wants you, even if you submit a blank application form you will be accepted. The need for testimonials and a certain grade is just to reduce the potential number of applicants. ”

回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 11-4-2012 23:16:16|来自:新加坡 | 显示全部楼层
JJ00 发表于 10-4-2012 22:26
多谢楼主!
先去:华中,再赶去:RI,那天的时间不够用啊。。。

我儿子DSA那年华中和RI的开放日相隔一个星期,最近这两年却都在同一天。

感觉RI,RGS,华中和南洋似乎达成了某种协定。。。
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 11-4-2012 23:43:08|来自:新加坡 | 显示全部楼层
几位爱同小学的校友写下了他们参加DSA并成功被录取的经历,挺有意思的。

Deborah Fong
Class of 2009 (6A)
Academics, National Junior College (NJC)

I successfully got into National Junior College through DSA (Academics). I tried DSA because I wanted to have the assurance of a confirmed place in a school of my choice before the PSLE so that I would not be too stressed up prior to the exams.

The DSA procedure was quite straightforward. First, I had to sign up online. Then, I had to go to NJC for a trial test. This test was actually quite easy compared to the PSLE exam paper. After a period of time, I was shortlisted to go for an interview and day camp. The interview was kind of pressurising. The interviewers asked about me and how I felt most of the time. The day camp was also sort of a test to see if I had leadership qualities.

I would recommend my juniors to go for DSA as it made me feel more relaxed when I studied for the PSLE exams. I still had the motivation to do well and I knew I could do even better without the burden of worrying about my choices of secondary schools after that.

Lee Chyi Fang
Class of 2009 (6D)
Wushu, Nanyang Girls' High School

When I was in my Primary 6, my thoughts were, “DSA…should I apply for it? It may be difficult…with all the tests and auditions…I still have to face so many teachers! I rather go facebook-ing or play computer games…”

Why did I even apply for DSA then? Of course part of it came from my parents’ continuous ‘naggings’ - “It’s for your own good.” Although it may be frustrating to hear it being said repeatedly, but… it’s really for my own good. As the saying goes, “不听老人言,吃亏在眼前。”

Thinking hard, I came to a conclusion- there’s no harm in trying. It would increase the opportunity for me to get into a good school that I wanted. In addition, it decreased the stress I faced prior to taking my PSLE exams so that I would be able to complete the paper with the best of my ability. Of course, it did not mean that I would not have to study if I were selected (there is still a minimum requirement score).

How was the DSA process like? Firstly, I went for an audition so that the coach could decide if I met the required standard. Next, I was shortlisted so I had to sit for a test. Don’t worry. It’s not related to any of the examinable subjects (for Sports DSA). For those keen, DON’T cram your mind and do sleep early the day before. Cramming leaves you sleep-deprived, disoriented and delusional. Lastly, I had to go through the interview. Just show your passion in your CCA. Reminder: you will need to continue that particular CCA for the 4 years of your secondary school life.

Think about applying for DSA. Give yourself a chance! Believe in yourself. Nothing is impossible. 加油!

Ng Xue Qi
Class of 2009 (6B)
Table tennis, Raffles Girls' Secondary

Thanks to Ai Tong School, I reaffirmed my decision to go for the DSA exercise. ATS organised talks by secondary schools for the P6 pupils after hearing about Raffles Girls’ Secondary School, I was keen to enter it especially with its strong table tennis background. I love table tennis. I have been playing it for years and the DSA exercise allows me to continue pursuing my interest in the school of my choice.

After I applied for it online, I had to go for a Selection trial where the coach observed everyone’s skills. Subsequently, there was a General Ability Test I had to sit for. Selected applicants would then go for an interview. Basically, the school wanted to know more about me and how ready I was to continue the sport for 4 years.

Going through DSA was not as stressful as others may think. In fact, once you’re confirmed a place in the secondary school, you feel more at ease going for the PSLE. Of course, you still must study hard to get the minimum aggregate score but without the common stress and fear everyone faces. I encourage the current P6 batch to go for the DSA exercise. After all, there is no harm in trying and getting a confirmation is an added bonus.

Chan Hong Kit
Class of 2009 (6A)
Volleyball, Hwa Chong Institution

When I knew about the Direct School Admission (DSA) exercise, I was ecstatic. It would be a bonus to get into the Secondary School I aimed for even before I took the PSLE. Hence, I applied for DSA to Hwa Chong Institution. Besides being an elite school, it also has a lot in common with Ai Tong. Both emphasise the Chinese culture and values, one of which I deeply bear in mind was that of “饮水思源”. I knew that the similar environment would make my transition into Secondary School life a lot smoother.

Applying DSA through volleyball, my CCA, was also a clear choice I made. I am very passionate about volleyball and I do not mind continuing the sport for the entire 4 years (out of 6 in the IP programme) in Hwa Chong. If I made it through the selection trials, I could continue pursuing my interest in volleyball in a school of my dream. Why not?

Before the trials, my team of volleyballers gathered to train hard with our seniors. The trials for volleyball were probably not a good gauge of our skills because we were very used to playing in indoor courts but the one in Hwa Chong was an outdoor court. Thus, we had a hard time getting accustomed to the strong wind. But we persevered and put in our best effort during the selection.

Besides the trials, we also had to take a few tests before sitting for an interview by the teachers from Hwa Chong Institution. It was not too difficult. I survived!

In my opinion, the DSA exercise is actually beneficial to students who are good in a certain area and want to continue his/her interest in that area in his/her “dream” school.

Anthony Low
Class of 2009 (6C)
Volleyball, Hwa Chong Institution

I decided to go for the DSA exercise because I wanted to have a confirmation in the school I wanted to enter before the PSLE. I felt that it would reduce the stress that I faced when I prepared for the major examination. It did!

Ai Tong organised talks by prospective schools which gave us a clearer idea of what the schools were like. Information about the Open Houses also allowed us to visit the schools to hear more. The Secondary Schools Fair held in Ai Tong saw booths set up which gave us a chance to speak to the pupils to know more about their schools.

Eventually, I went to Hwa Chong Institution through DSA. There were 2 rounds in the whole process.

For round 1, it was the Skills Test. The coach of that particular CCA would see how good your skills were. If you were good enough, you could proceed to the next round which was the Academic Test. You would be given 4 quizzes and 1 interview. The quizzes were in the area of English, Chinese, Mathematics and a General Aptitude Test. For both the languages test, you were shown a short video and then you must write an essay based on that video. For the Mathematics test, you would be given a test that was quite similar to the Primary School Math test (just that there were no MCQ options). For the general aptitude test, you must answer 30 questions in 40 minutes. That test was set to test your IQ.

I chose to go to Hwa Chong because it is a good school with lots of facilities to support learning. I entered through volleyball (my passion) as I felt that the coach is very good and experienced. He was the National volleyball setter in the past. After months in the school, I also feel that the teachers in Hwa Chong are very supportive and encouraging. I was glad that I had made the right choice. Going through the DSA exercise has allowed me to enter the school of my dream and continue my passion in volleyball.  

点评

继续膜拜中~~~  详情 回复 发表于 14-4-2012 12:44
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 12-4-2012 09:47:46|来自:新加坡 来自手机 | 显示全部楼层
太谢谢楼主的专业回复,你的链接看了后帮助不少,我们知道怎样准备了。这样的贴应该帮到不少学生和家长,获益良多!happy!
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 14-4-2012 02:26:00|来自:新加坡 | 显示全部楼层
本帖最后由 jjrchome 于 14-4-2012 02:31 编辑

和DSA有关的竞赛项目:

竞赛项目
主办者
参赛基本条件
比赛日期
新加坡小学奥数竞赛(SMOPS)
华中(Hwa  Chong Institution)
小学6年级学生并且不超过12岁
4~5月份
亚太小学奥数竞赛 (APMOPS)
华中(Hwa  Chong Institution)
SMOPS的前200名优胜者(或前10%)

新加坡国家奥数竞赛(NMOS )
国大数理中学(NUS  High )
小学5年级学生
7~8月份
国际小学数理竞赛(IMSO)
国大数理中学(NUS  High )
NMOS的前6名

美国数学竞赛-6,7,8年级学生(AMC-8)
美国数学协会(Mathematical  Association of America)
小学4年级到中二的学生
11月份
国际数学竞赛与评估(ICAS-Math)
新南威尔士大学(The University of  New South Wales)
小学2年级到初院一年级的学生
8月份
国际科学竞赛与评估ICAS-Science
新南威尔士大学(The University of  New South Wales)
小学3年级到初院一年级的学生
4月份
新加坡小学科学奥林匹克竞赛(SPSO )
国大数理中学(NUS  High )
小学5年级学生
7月份
莱佛士世界小学数学竞赛(RIPWMC)
莱佛士书院(Raffles  Institution )
小学6年级学生
4月份
新马小学双语奥林匹克竞赛
南洋女中,《大拇指》,无敌
小学生
4~5月份

“新马小学双语奥林匹克竞赛”的前30名优胜者如果参加DSA将享受以下优待:
  • 参加华侨中学DSA,可以免去英文和华文的选拔考试。
  • 参加南洋女中DSA,GAT免费,双语奥林匹克比赛的获奖名次也将纳入遴选条件之一。

注意:

竞赛获奖证书并不能让孩子在申请四大名校(南洋女中,莱佛士女中,莱佛士书院和华中)的DSA时获得特别的青睐, 但在申请国大数理中学,德明,立化,和新加坡科技中学等学校的DSA时却可能会起到决定性的作用。
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 15-4-2012 13:05:19|来自:新加坡 | 显示全部楼层
请问乒乓球DSA的中学多吗?

点评

你要到各学校网站去查,每个项目每年招收的都不太一样。你的孩子获得什么名次?  详情 回复 发表于 8-5-2012 23:32
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 16-4-2012 09:50:55|来自:新加坡 | 显示全部楼层
yidingyiding 发表于 15-4-2012 13:05
请问乒乓球DSA的中学多吗?

子女教育版里体育DSA的信息非常少,希望各位有经验的家长多多分享。。。

回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 16-4-2012 10:03:03|来自:新加坡 | 显示全部楼层
yidingyiding 发表于 15-4-2012 13:05
请问乒乓球DSA的中学多吗?

我的一个外甥就是靠乒乓球DSA进的圣约瑟夫书院(后转去德明);
另一个外甥乒乓球DSA进了德明政府中学;
我儿子的班上就有两名学生是乒乓球特长生;
前年莱佛士书院的老师告诉我他们会招收乒乓球特长生。

所以,以我的经验,圣约瑟夫书院,德明政府中学,华中,莱佛士书院这四所学校肯定有乒乓球DSA。
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 16-4-2012 10:35:09|来自:新加坡 | 显示全部楼层
jjrchome 发表于 16-4-2012 10:03
我的一个外甥就是靠乒乓球DSA进的圣约瑟夫书院(后转去德明);
另一个外甥乒乓球DSA进了德明政府中学;

多谢J版的回复!!是啊, 这里体育DSA的信息非常非常少,J版的儿子也是个牛孩儿吧, 华中还是RI啊?我家的是女孩,不知道哪些学校有女孩乒乓球DSA的?

点评

华中,但绝不是“牛娃儿”,我还觉得他有点木讷呢。。。  详情 回复 发表于 16-4-2012 17:41
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表回复

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册会员 新浪微博登陆

本版积分规则

联系客服 关注微信 下载APP 小程序 返回顶部 返回列表